Saturday, November 28, 2009

HOLD YOUR TONGUE?


In the earlier part of my life, I often heard racial slurs and comments delivered freely and openly. This always struck me as exceedingly strange, as I was raised in a home where racial prejudice was not tolerated. My mother always took a very strong stance against bigotry; if she heard a racial joke or comment, she felt compelled to voice her displeasure with the speaker. She was not very diplomatic about it either, since she seemed to take such comments as a personal affront. This made her unpopular with some, but she didn't care. She stood up for her beliefs.

I always admired my mom's strong stance, but I didn't feel the same need to speak out. While I always found racial jokes and comments to be distasteful, I felt that speaking out against them would be to no avail. It always seemed to me that it would be impossible to change someone else's lifelong prejudices simply by letting them know that I disagreed with them. I've often wondered if that was really true, or if I might actually have been able to change someone's mind if I were not so eager to avoid confrontation.

I was recently reminded of this dilemma in an entirely different context. This time, the issue was gay rights. I found myself in a social setting where people were freely disparaging and joking about gays and lesbians. Although I found the comments to be very distasteful, I ignored them. Once again, I reasoned that voicing my disagreement would accomplish nothing other than alienating the speaker.

Is this true? Should we speak out in such a situation, or ignore what we perceive to be objectionable? It is a difficult issue.

I find myself questioning the wisdom of my decision to stay silent. Is it possible, just possible, that by registering my disagreement in a civil way I might change someone else's mind? Or would they only become more firmly entrenched in their bigotry, and resent me for speaking out? I really don't know. But I'm thinking that the next time this happens I may feel better about myself if I say something rather than remaining silent. I know that's what my mom would have done.

3 Comments:

Blogger John Manzo said...

It is no longer 'socially acceptable' to express bigotry in terms of race. In most circles it has become increasingly no longer acceptable to use bigoted terms in gender discussion. It strikes me that the gay community is now bearing the brunt of bigoted comments sadly often guised as people saying they are 'speaking the truth in love.'

Bigotry is bigotry and intolerable. I am not sure why people feel a need to find some 'group to hate.' It seems to me that folks try to make themselves look better at the expense of others.

8:39 AM  
Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20160227
the north face outlet
air force 1
cheap jordans
true religion outlet
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet
michael kors outlet online
celine outlet
nike huarache shoes
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet
kobe bryant shoes
kobe 9
michael kors outlet online
instyler max
tods shoes
p90x
christian louboutin outlet
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet store online
toms outlet
christian louboutin shoes
celine handbags
supra shoes
lebron shoes
ray ban sunglasses
cheap oakley sunglasses
hollister
oakley sunglasses cheap
jordan retro
louis vuitton outlet
canada goose jackets
tiffany and co
uggs outlet
mulberry handbags
jordan concords
ray ban sunglasses
cheap air max
ralph lauren uk
as

1:16 AM  
Blogger بروكر said...

I definitely love this site.
http://prokr2020.emyspot.com/blog/
https://prokr2020.activeboard.com/
http://prokr2020.inube.com/
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home