Thursday, April 02, 2009

WORLD WITHOUT END


Several years ago, I read what I consider to be one of the most magnificent novels ever written: The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. This is no ordinary novel. Rather, it is an exquisite work of historical fiction, deeply developed, that captivated me from start to finish. It literally made me laugh out loud at times, while putting me on the verge of tears at others. (Yes, even manly men like me have tear ducts, and we have to empty them out once every few years or so. But I digress.) Although the epic novel is over a thousand pages in length, I never tired of it. In fact, I found myself sorry that I could no longer continue reading once I finished it. I wanted it to go on and on!

Fortunately, Ken Follett has produced a sequel. World Without End picks up where Pillars left off--except two centuries later. I am now halfway through the sequel, and I am enjoying it every bit as much I did the original novel. I find myself stewing over what will happen with the bishops, knights, squires, serfs, outlaws, maidens and various other characters who are so vividly brought to life within the pages. The sequel is also over a thousand pages in length, and I am relishing every enthralling page. I again find myself not wanting it to end.

I have blogged before about my fondness for Ken Follett's writing, and I will say it again: He is a true literary master. If you have not read them, I can very happily recommend that you check out both The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End.

Just be ready to both laugh and cry.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading it. Becky Barber

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home