Thursday, March 19, 2009

MISSING RAY


It was seven years ago today that my oldest brother, Ray, disappeared. He seemed to vanish from the face of the earth without a trace. He mysteriously went missing from his home in rural Virgina. Despite a massive search by the state and local police, no clue has been found as to his whereabouts. I haven't researched the law of Virginia on the issue, but in Indiana Ray would now be legally presumed to be dead. It devastates me to say that.

We all suspect, and fear, foul play. Ray had his share of enemies, I suspect, and he was known to get in trouble by gambling more than he could afford. Did gamblers catch up with him? Was it a love triangle that someone decided to end in a vicious manner? Or did he simply decide to ride the storm out on a remote beach somewhere in South America? Not knowing what happened, whatever the case, is probably the hardest part. It is the hardest of all on our 76-year-old father. As much as I would love for Ray to reappear, I know that it is very unlikely to happen at this point.

Ray was a great guy. He had his faults, as we all do, but I always knew that he would be there for me if I needed him. Today, more than ever, I miss my brother.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you on this sad anniversary day.

8:43 PM  
Blogger shirley baird said...

I am very sorry for what you and your family must have been going through all of these years. Keeping you all in my prayers.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous New Alb Annie said...

My husband's brother disappeared in such a manner many years ago. I did not know my husband then, but he told me what a terrible time it was, the stress on his parents, the not knowing and imagining what may have happened.

His brother's disappearance was eventually solved (his car ran off the road into a lake and he drowned), but I don't think life has ever been the same for any of his family.

I hope that one day, you and your family will have some answers and some peace.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home