Wednesday, October 31, 2007

LIFE OF PI


I have just finished reading Life of Pi, a 2001 award-winning novel by Yann Martel. Martel is a wonderful storyteller. His book is a fascinating tale and a great read.

The story is deeply thought-provoking. It causes the reader to evaluate his own role in the universe--a sensation similar to the one that I experienced the first time I read one of my all-time favorite works, The Open Boat, by Stephen Crane.

I was totally captivated by Life of Pi. I consider it to be a fine work of literature, something far more enriching than the typical piece of fiction. I heartily recommend it to you.

Before I forget to mention it, Martel provides an observation in his Author's Note at the beginning of the book that truly struck home with me. I quote it here: "If we, citizens, do not support our artists, then we sacrifice our imagination on the altar of crude reality and we end up believing in nothing and having worthless dreams."

Amen to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home