Friday, April 20, 2007

QUOTE FOR FRIDAY, APRIL 20TH


Famous quotes are, to me, often very thought-provoking and inspiring. They are so powerful because they seem to distill down, into a few short words, thoughts that reveal great truths about our human propensities and condition. I often try to share my favorite quotes with my children--who are really not kids anymore--but I sometimes wonder if they think that I am being corny for doing so.

Anyway, I thought that I might begin sharing with the CoffeeSpoons readership some of my favorites. I hope that you will find them to be useful. Henceforth, I will probably try to just give you the quote, without further preamble or explanation. Just know that, when I leave you with a quote here, I am giving you a gem that I have found to be particularly meaningful and useful in my life. The quote for today:

The first and the best victory is to conquer self.

--Plato