Thursday, July 13, 2006

A FRIEND I NEVER KNEW


O.K., I admit it.....I am a sports junkie. It seems as though I cannot get enough when it comes to sports. I love watching sports, listening to sports, and talking about sports. And for a sports junkie like me, the advent of sports talk radio has been a godsend. No longer do I have to listen to the sounds of silence, or tunes, as I drive along in my car these days. Now I can always listen to interesting discussions about my favorite teams and the games that they play.

Just a week ago, I was listening to one of my favorite local radio personalities: Scott Thompson, of WSZ / ESPN radio in Louisville. I always looked forward to listening to Scott, as he clearly approached his job with great zeal and enthusiasm. His show was always interesting. He was the host of the "SportsDrive" program, which was on the air on weekdays from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. He was also the general manager and a co-owner of WSZ. According to the station's website, Scott's involvement at WSZ was the fulfillment of a life-long dream for him. As I listened to his commentary last week, he seemed to be full of his usual insights and vigor. There was no hint that anything might have been amiss.

Tragically, Scott Thompson passed away unexpectedly late last Friday evening. Although the story has been in the local papers, there has been no indication as to the cause of his death. He was 45 years old, and left behind a wife and two teenage children.

I was surprised by the extent of my sadness upon learning of the passing of Scott Thompson. Although I never met him, I felt as though we had become friends through his radio commentary. We were about the same age, and I listened to him whenever possible. When I discussed his passing with a couple of fellow sports junkies who work in my office, I discovered that they felt the same way about him. We all feel as if we have lost a friend, even though we never met the man.

I suppose this shows that radio and television personalities have a special opportunity to have an impact upon many people whom they have never met. Scott Thompson connected with me, as well as with my sports-crazy buddies, by sharing his personality with us over the air. I will miss listening to his show and, like many, many others, send heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

5:28 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, louis vuitton, replica watches, burberry handbags, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, prada handbags, prada outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses wholesale, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, nike air max, christian louboutin uk, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, uggs outlet, christian louboutin, polo outlet, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, replica watches, christian louboutin shoes, tory burch outlet, nike free, louis vuitton, tiffany jewelry, burberry outlet, uggs outlet

10:48 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free run, vans pas cher, ralph lauren uk, hollister uk, burberry pas cher, hollister pas cher, north face uk, michael kors, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, timberland pas cher, nike air force, nike tn, nike free uk, true religion outlet, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, ray ban uk, coach outlet store online, lululemon canada, ray ban pas cher, longchamp pas cher, true religion outlet, replica handbags, true religion jeans, nike blazer pas cher, air max, michael kors, oakley pas cher, coach purses, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, sac hermes, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren, sac longchamp pas cher, nike air max, north face, guess pas cher, hogan outlet, true religion outlet, jordan pas cher, mulberry uk, new balance, nike roshe run uk, nike roshe, kate spade, louboutin pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors pas cher

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home